Connect with us

College Football

Does the ESPN FPI Think WVU Will Beat Pitt in Backyard Brawl?



WVU Football HC Neal Brown

Even though oddsmakers and experts are split on who will win the Backyard Brawl, the ESPN FPI thinks it’s pretty clear.

The ESPN FPI (Football Power Index) believes WVU is going to lose to Pitt for the second straight year. According to the ESPN FPI, West Virginia only has a 35.9% chance to win the game at home. That then gives Pitt a 64.1% probability to claim the win on the road.

Both the Mountaineers and Panthers are entering the week at 1-1, with wins over FCS opponents, and neither side has looked particularly effective this season.

Oddsmakers Are Split on WVU-Pitt in Backyard Brawl

West Virginia lost a Week 1 matchup to Penn State in State College, falling apart in the fourth quarter against the Nittany Lions, before rebounding with a 56-17 win over Duquesne over the weekend.

After WVU’s win against Duquesne, quarterback Garrett Greene closed his postgame press conference by saying how fired up he is for the Brawl rivalry.

WVU QB Garrett Greene Fired Up for Backyard Brawl: ‘We Don’t Like Them’

There will be a lot on the line for both Pitt and West Virginia this weekend, and it should be a wild night in Morgantown.

No matter what people are saying before the game, the Mountaineers have revenge on their mind after losing to Pitt in the revival of the Backyard Brawl last season.

The Backyard Brawl kicks off from Milan Puskar Stadium in Morgantown, West Virginia. And for those who will be missing out on experiencing the rivalry in person, the game will be televised nationally on ABC.

Welcome to the new home of WVU football and basketball breaking news, analysis and recruiting. Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter and check us out on YouTube. And don't forget to subscribe for all of our articles delivered directly to your inbox.


  1. WVU vs Everyone

    September 14, 2023 at 8:45 am

    Pitt is not Penn State. WVU was in the game against Penn State until the 4th quarter. Cincinnati is not Penn State. Both teams may be 1-1, BUT there is a BIG difference between Wofford and Duquense and there is even a bigger difference between Cincinnati and Penn State. I believe WVU’s offensive line and defensive front are better than Pitts. I believe WVU will be successful running the ball against Pitt just like Cincinnati did. If WVU needs to pass the ball, they have Carter, Clement, Gallagher, Taylor and Fox. Pitt will be one dimensional because the run will be shutdown. This will create interceptions by the defense. Regardless of what ESPN thinks. ESPN always says WVU is going to lose no matter what. That is why when we true WVU fans watch the game. The sound is set to mute on the television and the local radio broadcast is turned on. ESPN announcers are always the cheerleaders for the other team every game. I don’t know why the AD puts up with it but most likely somebody pays him enough money to keep his mouth shut. No one in WV likes ESPN. Fox is better.

  2. 13-9

    September 14, 2023 at 5:42 pm

    Go home mountaineers!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get WVSN in your mailbox!

Enter your email address to subscribe to WVSN and receive notifications of new posts by email.