Barring any last-second changes, West Virginia men’s basketball will open its 2020-21 season Wednesday evening against South Dakota State University in the first round of the Crossover Classic.
The South Dakota-based event will feature eight teams competing in three rounds of play from Nov. 25-27. This event will be conducted despite a venue and name change, six of the eight original teams withdrawing and a team dropping out just 48 hours before tipoff.
Below is a schedule of all the changes the Crossover Classic endured to make it to round one on Wednesday, including moving from the Bahamas to South Dakota, going through a complete rebrand and finding three replacement teams in just the last seven days.
- Sept. 12: The 2020 Battle 4 Atlantis relocates to South Dakota
- The field at this time is Duke, WVU, Memphis, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Utah, Creighton and Wichita State
- Oct. 14: The event is rebranded as the Crossover Classic
- Dayton replaces Duke but the rest of the field remains the same
- WVU is scheduled to play Texas A&M in the first round on Nov. 25
- Oct. 30: Utah withdraws from the event
- Nov. 6: Ohio State withdraws from the event
- Saint Mary’s and South Dakota State are announced as replacements
- The field after these changes is WVU, Texas A&M, Saint Mary’s, Memphis, Creighton, South Dakota State, Dayton and Wichita State
- Nov. 8: Dayton withdraws from the event
- Utah State is announced as the replacement team
- Nov. 17: Texas A&M withdraws from the event
- At the time, the Aggies were still scheduled to be WVU’s first-round opponent
- Nov. 18: Northern Iowa is announced as Texas A&M’s replacement
- The Panthers are initially scheduled to be WVU’s first opponent on Nov. 25
- Nov. 19: Creighton withdraws from the event
- Nov. 20: Western Kentucky is announced as Creighton’s replacement
- The tournament is also re-seeded and WVU is now scheduled to play South Dakota State in the first round
- Nov. 22: WVU officially confirms that it will play SDSU on Nov. 25 at 7 p.m.
- Nov. 23: The Sanford Pentagon announces that no spectators will be permitted for the event
- Nov. 23: Wichita State withdraws from the event
- VCU is announced as its replacement
- The field is now Northern Iowa, Western Kentucky, Saint Mary’s, Memphis, WVU, South Dakota State, VCU and Utah State
Of the original eight-team field, only West Virginia and Memphis will actually compete in the event.
The schedule for the first day of the tournament on Nov. 25 is:
- Memphis vs. Saint Mary’s – 2 p.m. EST (ESPN)
- Northern Iowa vs. Western Kentucky – 4:30 p.m. EST (ESPNU)
- South Dakota State vs. West Virginia – 7 p.m. EST (ESPN2)
- VCU vs. Utah State – 9:30 p.m. EST (ESPN2)