With the deadline to withdraw from the NBA draft quickly approaching, it appears West Virginia guard Miles “Deuce” McBride has made his decision. McBride has decided to forgo his remaining college eligibility and remain in the NBA Draft process, according to a report by Greg Carey of MetroNews.
Players had until July 7 to withdraw their names from the draft process and retain college eligibility. McBride, a sophomore, entered the process earlier this offseason in April. He has worked out for several teams and participated in the NBA Draft Combine last week.
A Cincinnati native, McBride became a star during his second season in Morgantown. He led the Mountaineers in scoring last season, averaging 15.9 points per game. He shot 43.1% from the floor and 41.4% on 3-pointers. He also averaged 3.9 rebounds and 4.8 assists.
As of Wednesday, WVU coach Bob Huggins said McBride had not yet come to a decision. In an interview with Andy Katz, McBride said his decision would hinge on the feedback he receives from NBA scouts. McBride is currently projected as a late-first round pick by ESPN.
McBride was one of four WVU players to enter their name into the draft process this offseason and the second to commit to turning pro. Forward Derek Culver signed with an agent, giving up his college eligibility, in late April. Guard Taz Sherman took his name out of the process and committed to return to WVU last month. Guard Sean McNeil has yet to announce a decision.
Without McBride, WVU will have six guards on its roster next season, with four seniors; Sherman, McBride, Kedrian Johnson and Old Dominion transfer Malik Curry. Kobe Johnson and Seth Wilson will join the team as true freshmen.