As West Virginia looks to get the program headed in the right direction, it will have to do so without one of its most veteran players.
Wide receiver Bryce Ford-Wheaton has decided to forgo his last year of eligibility and declare for the upcoming NFL Draft. Ford-Wheaton released a statement about his decision on Twitter Wednesday afternoon.
Thank you West Virginia 🏾 pic.twitter.com/54vwIgxRRR
— Bryce Ford-Wheaton (@Brycewheat3) November 30, 2022
“Through my years at WVU, I’ve crossed paths with many different coaches who have taught me valuable lessons on the field and off, that have developed me into a better player and more importantly, a better person. To my teammates, there were times we were on top of the mountain, as well as time we’ve been at rock bottom (e.g. rep 10 of Law School Hill). The one thing that stayed constant was our love and support for each other. Ya’ll will always be by brothers,” said Ford-Wheaton.
“Last but not least, to Mountaineer Nation, thank you for your unwavering support over these five years. Suiting up on Saturday knowing that i was representing 1.8 of the most loyal fans in college sports was nothing short of a blessing. With this be being said, I have decided to forgo my last season of eligibility and declare for the 2023 NFL Draft,” Ford-Wheaton closed off by making his plans known.
He will play in the East-West Shrine Bowl in January to show off his skills in preparation for the draft. Ford-Wheaton caught a career-high 62 passes for 675 yards and 7 touchdowns in 2022, finishing his WVU career with 143 receptions for 1,867 yards and 15 touchdowns through four seasons.